- 27th January - Valerie Barlow is electrocuted by a faulty power outlet and killed instantly. A blaze is started in the maisonettes which exposes structural faults and leads to their demolition by the council.
- 15th February - Jenny Bradley is born.
- 19th May - The Mark Brittain Warehouse opens for business in Coronation Street.
- 9th June - The Community Centre is opened in Coronation Street. Ena Sharples secures the position of caretaker and moves into the flat.
- 14th August - Judy Smedley (later Mallett) is born.
- 25th October - Ken Barlow sends twins Peter and Susan to live in Scotland.
- 27th October - Jerry Booth is given a conditional discharge in court for assaulting Jim Stoker.
- 17th November - Charlie Stubbs is born.
|←1970 1971 1972→|