Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Below is a list of the major changes to Coronation Street 's broadcast patterns and technical standards since 1960. Minor or short-term changes to the schedules are not listed but are detailed on individual episode pages.
- Friday 9th December 1960 - The series' first episode is broadcast in black and white at 7.00pm; episodes continue on Wednesday and Friday at 7.00pm
- Monday 6th March 1961 - The transmission pattern changes to Monday and Wednesday at 7.30pm.
- Monday 3rd November 1969 - The first episode to be made in colour is broadcast in that medium but as an unadvertised test transmission (see Colour Television for further details).
- Monday 17th November 1969 - The programme is transmitted in colour for the first time as a scheduled and advertised broadcast in four of the ITV regions. Other regions would come on line from late 1969 (see Launch dates of ITV in colour for further details).
- Monday 16th November 1970 - Transmission reverts to black and white due to industrial action (see ITV Colour Strike for further details).
- Monday 15th February 1971 - Transmission reverts to colour as the industrial action ends.
- Monday 26th July 1976 - Channel Television is the final ITV station to begin colour transmission of the programme.
- Friday 20th October 1989 - The series begins broadcasting a third regular episode each week; transmission is now on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 7.30pm.
- Sunday 24th November 1996 - Coronation Street begins broadcasting a fourth regular episode each week. Transmission is now on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 7.30pm.
- Monday 7th January 2002 - The programme is transmitted in widescreen format for the first time.
- Monday 25th August 2003 - Broadcasting of a fifth regular episode each week began; transmission is now on Sunday at 7.30pm, Monday at 7.30pm and 8.30pm, Wednesday and Friday at 7.30pm. There had been experiments with this format in 2002, although they were for a specific fixed period and were not an intended regular pattern.
- Sunday 6th January 2008 - Last regular episode to be shown on a Sunday. From the remainder of this week onwards, the broadcast pattern is Monday at 7.30pm and 8.30pm, Wednesday at 7.30pm and Friday at 7.30pm and 8.30pm.
- Wednesday 15th July 2009 - Last regular episode to be shown on a Wednesday for three years. From the following week, the broadcast pattern is Monday at 7.30pm and 8.30pm, Thursday at 8.30pm and Friday at 7.30pm and 8.30pm.
- Monday 31st May 2010 - The programme is transmitted in high definition for the first time.
- Thursday 30th August 2012 - Last regular episode to be shown on a Thursday. From the following week, the broadcast pattern reverts to Monday at 7.30pm and 8.30pm, Wednesday at 7.30pm and Friday at 7.30pm and 8.30pm.