Coronation Street: 1970-1979 was a ten-disc DVD boxset featuring 80 Coronation Street episodes originally broadcast in the UK in the 1970s. Each disc contained eight episodes from a year between 1970 and 1979.
The set was the first of five Coronation Street DVD boxsets released by Network DVD, each focusing on a specific decade. In its original release on 25th July 2005, the boxset was comprised of ten individual DVD cases inside an outer box. These were also released separately. It was re-issued in a slimmer ten-disc case at a lower retail price on 5th September 2011.
There were no listed special features but the original studio countdown clocks, complete with the voice of the floor manager were included as easter eggs for most episodes.
From the back of the original release DVD box:
- A celebration of Britain's most famous and enduring television programme, featuring 80 landmark episodes from the 1970s, this is the very best of 'Coronation Street' from the decade that established it as a staple part of British television culture.
- With many episodes unseen since their original broadcast this is an opportunity to revisit old friends and re-live some classic moments including:
- The marriages of Elsie Tanner and Alan Howard, Brian and Gail Tilsley, Ernie and Emily Bishop and Len and Rita Fairclough.
- The 1977 Silver Jubilee Street party.
- The warehouse fire and the discovery of two bodies.
- Hilda Ogden's seance.
- The electrocution of Valerie Barlow.
- And much more.
(*Episode included is Granada Plus edit)
- The individual release dates were:
- Episode 1093 (7th July 1971) was wrongly labelled as being transmitted on 12th July 1971 on the DVD packaging and menu on the boxset's original release. The date for Episode 1672 (24th January 1977) was also incorrectly given as 14th January 1977.