Coronation Street: 1980-1989 was a ten-disc DVD boxset featuring 80 Coronation Street episodes originally broadcast in the UK in the 1980s. Each disc contained eight episodes from a year between 1980 and 1989.
The set was the second of five Coronation Street DVD boxsets released by Network DVD, each focusing on a specific decade. In its original release on 31st October 2005, the boxset was comprised of ten individual DVD cases inside an outer box. It was re-issued in a slimmer ten-disc case at a lower retail price on 5th September 2011.
From the back of the original release DVD box:
- It's the release that British soap fans have been waiting for. The second must-have box set of ITV's celebrated and award-winning drama serial Coronation Street contains eighty landmark episodes from the 1980s in this ten-disc set.
- Coronation Street 1980 - 1989 contains all the tragedy and comedy soap fans have come to associate with the nation's most popular programme. Join in with the love, laughter, tears and nail-biting drama featuring battleaxes, busty barmaids and people who wear their hearts on their sleeves in this highly addictive soap which has won an unprecedented amount of accolades.
- 1980: Elsie Tanner sets fire to her living room; Gail Tilsley has a baby.
- 1981: Arnold threatens Emily with murder; Ken and Deirdre get married
- 1982: Betty Turpin is mugged; Eddie Yeates and Marion get engaged
- 1983: Deirdre Barlow has an affair with Mike and Ken finds out; the Ogden's 40th wedding anniversary; Len Fairclough dies in a car accident
- 1984: Elsie Tanner leaves for the last time; Stan Ogden's funeral
- 1985: Tracy Barlow runs away; Alf and Audrey get married
- 1986: Ken has a punch-up with Mike; Kevin and Sally get married
- 1987: Gail gives birth; Bet Lynch marries Alec Gilroy; Hilda is beaten up by burglars; Christmas show - Hilda's last one
- 1988: Mavis and Derek get married; Don and Ivy get married
- 1989: Alan tries to murder Rita; Alan is killed by a Blackpool tram; Ken Barlow has an affair
- And much more.
(*Episode included is Granada Plus edit)
Episode 1968 (11th February 1980) was wrongly labelled as being transmitted on 24th March 1980 on the DVD packaging and menu on the boxset's original release. This was corrected in the episode guide booklet which accompanied the slimline re-release, although the error on the menu screen remained.