Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||24th August 1970 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Script editor||Malcolm Lynch|
|Previous episode||19th August 1970|
|Next episode||26th August 1970|
Alan worries about his reputation now that he’s bankrupt and thanks Elsie for her support. Elsie tells Sandra to leave. Albert demands a two shilling win from Stan on the World Cup result and manages to increase it to 32 shillings on several rounds of "Double or quits". Hilda gloats over Elsie’s money problems. Sandra asks Lucille to check if there’s a room at the Rovers going for her. Annie refuses to let her spare room go. Stan tries "Double or quits" again and his debt to Albert reaches £25, 16 shillings. Stan agrees to try dominoes and his losings reach £1,600. Maggie gets a worrying letter from Les's brother in Birmingham telling her that Les is drinking again. The Howards put on a brave face and go into the Rovers where Piggott annoys them. Stan and Albert try darts. Stan loses again and now owes Albert £3,200 but Annie finds out that they have been gambling on her premises against the licence. Stan declares the debt void. Billy phones Annie with some news.
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Sandra Butler - Patricia Fuller
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Camera Shop Flat
- Anne Reid (Valerie Barlow) and William Roache (Kenneth Barlow) are credited but do not appear.
- TV Times synopsis: Sweet music for Ena but the Howards strike a low note.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,450,000 homes (3rd place).
|August 1970 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|