|ITV transmission date||30th September 1970 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Previous episode||28th September 1970|
|Next episode||5th October 1970|
Ken puts in his order at the Corner Shop and is surprised to find that Hilda is running out of basic foodstuffs. With Irma extending her holiday by another week, he advises her to get things in order. It's Minnie's seventieth birthday and she's pleased to have had cards from Jed Stone, Charlie Moffitt and Handel Gartside but is upset that Ena seems to have forgotten. Frank lets himself into the flat again after an all-night lorry trip, annoying Hilda. Bet demands assurances from Frank that he loves her. Albert takes Minnie to Val's for tea. Frank asks the Canal Garage to look at his lorry brakes and asks Billy for a job. He agrees to think about it. Minnie drops hints to Ena about her birthday but to no effect. Judd Johnson returns from London and meets Frank in Jackson's Chip Shop. Albert reminds Ena what today is. Bet is annoyed to see Judd back, saying he's a bad influence. Hilda starts to find it hard to cope in the shop and doesn't know where to order stock from. Frank suggests a drive out to Southport and shows Bet a car he's borrowed. Ena buys Minnie a hotpot pot and apologises for forgetting. Peter and Susan delight her when they sing Happy Birthday to her. Walter Gilfeather, a rep from Unifoods, calls into the shop with his samples and is happily surprised when Hilda orders large quantities of specialised products rather than standard lines. Frank and Bet return. He leaves the car half a mile from Coronation Street with the keys dropped on the road and sets off to walk back. She's horrified to realises she's been out in a stolen car.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Susan Barlow - Wendy Jane Walker
- Peter Barlow - Christopher Dormer
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid (Uncredited)
- Frank Bradley - Tommy Boyle
- Judd Johnson - Neil Kennedy (Credited as "Jud Johnson")
- Walter Gilfeather - Ronald Herdman
- Coronation Street exterior
- Corner Shop
- 15a Coronation Street
- 14 Coronation Street - Living room and kitchen
- Canal Garage
- Jackson's Chip Shop
- Streets in Weatherfield
- Tommy Boyle makes one of several pre-Phil Jennings appearances as Frank Bradley.
- Minnie Caldwell says Jed Stone's card shows the River Dart in Devon, so she think she knows his current whereabouts i.e. Dartmoor Prison.
- The scenes on the Grape Street set were OB recorded while the other location scenes on the Weatherfield streets were on 16mm film.
- TV Times synopsis: Minnie's birthday - no card from Ena.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,800,000 homes (7th place).
|September 1970 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|