Lucille stays out for the night. Worried about her, Annie visits the encampment and calls the gypsies liars when they say they haven't seen her. She also tells Hilda off for giving Reuben a meal. Ena sees John Smith buying children's medicines in the Corner Shop and drags out of him that his five-year old son is ill. John tells her they can't get a doctor to visit them. Ray suspects the gypsies of stealing the scrap. Annie gets the residents to sign a petition against the gypsies. Lucille returns having spent the night at Vera Bland's, a friend of hers. Alan and Billy fix the gypsies' cars which have been sabotaged. Annie bars the gypsies from the Rovers. When the Ogdens and Elsie threaten to leave as well a furious Annie allows Betty to serve them. Ray accuses Reuben Ward of stealing the scrap. Unable to find a doctor herself Ena phones a Catholic Priest and asks him to find a doctor for the Smiths. Elsie is stunned when her stepson Mark Howard arrives to see his father, never having been aware he had a son.
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Ellen Smith - Margaret Steed
- John Smith - Shane Connaughton
- Reuben Ward - James Donnelly
- Mark Howard - Nicholas Jones
- Tommy Deakin - Paddy Joyce
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Gypsy encampment
- John Smith’s caravan
- With no credited producer, H.V. Kershaw again took up the duties again but continued to be credited as executive producer from this episode onwards.
- The countdown clock for this episode appears to have broken down shortly before recording began and an old pocket watch is hastily substituted in its place! If the time on the watch is accurate, recording commenced at 2.48pm.
- TV Times synopsis: Annie and Ray challenge the gipsies - and Elsie is surprised by a newcomer.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,250,000 homes (2nd place).
|October 1970 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|