Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Production code||P694/26 and P694/27|
|ITV transmission date||18th November 1970 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Writer||Brian Finch and Leslie Duxbury|
|Executive Producer||H.V. Kershaw|
|Previous episode||16th November 1970|
|Next episode||23rd November 1970|
Handel returns to Whaley Bridge upsetting Minnie. Billy kids an ill and bed-ridden Annie that Irma is pregnant. From her sickbed she summons Irma and Stan to tea to sort things out. Alan tells Mark that there's no way he could ever return to his mother and makes him leave. Mark walks out without a word to Elsie. Joe Donelli returns after being demobbed from the US army. Minnie takes him in. Ena suspects that Ray may make a play for Val with Ken away. When Irma backs out, Billy tells Annie she jumped to the wrong conclusion. Irma goes out for a meal with Joe. Emily keeps company with Val on Ena's instructions. Val tells her to leave; if she wants Ray around he shall be around.
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Peter Barlow - Christopher Dormer
- Susan Barlow - Wendy Jane Walker
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug, hallway and back room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 14 Coronation Street - Living room, kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- This episode, although the standard half-hour in length, was in reality the scripts for two episodes (P694/26 and P694/27) pared down into one and with two credited writers. This was done as Doris Speed was ill and her absence left a large hole in the plot for the two episodes which couldn't be filled by last-minute rewrites. Annie's summons to Stan and Irma and Billy's confession that Irma isn't pregnant were all handled off-camera and relayed to the audience by conversations between other characters. Annie was also stated to be ill in bed in the episode.
- The ITV Colour Strike started on 13th November, the day that this episode was recorded, and therefore for the first time since Episode 923 (29th October 1969) Coronation Street was both made and transmitted in black and white and would continue to appear in this format until Episode 1052 (15th February 1971) when the programme returned to colour.
- TV Times synopsis: A departure, an arrival…and an "expected" arrival.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,850,000 homes (5th place).
|November 1970 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|