Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||20th January 1971 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Previous episode||18th January 1971|
|Next episode||25th January 1971|
Annie plans a holiday in Majorca. Hilda sees Handel in his dressing gown at No. 5 and jumps to conclusions. Gina wants Len and Ray out from under her feet, supposedly in order to do her housework. Hilda starts to call on Albert. He happily sets her to work cleaning throughout the house. Len and Ray do minor repairs to No. 14 before the Barlows move out. Elsie looks for work. Hilda is exhausted after her day at No. 1 but Stan is confident Albert has hundreds stashed away. Elsie goes for a job demonstrating a potato peeler in the ironmongery department of Harris and Platt. Gina feeds her boyfriend Charlie Braddock in Len and Ray's absence. Hilda finds it hard being patient with Albert when he shows no gratitude for getting his dinner. Elsie takes the job, which entails training in Liverpool and long hours. Ken goes to see Frank and to tell him about the move to Jamaica. Ken wonders if the move will prove as fateful for him as it did for David going to Australia. Albert delights in telling Minnie and Handel that that Ena has sent a postcard to say that she's coming home and wonders what she will say about their lodging arrangement. Len sees Charlie in the Rovers and wonders where he has seen him before. Annie asks Hilda what she is up to with Albert. Hilda denies any impropriety. Len tells Hilda that Albert is penniless.
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- 5 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 14 Coronation Street - Living room and hallway
- Although ITV had begun full-colour transmissions on 15th November 1969, the ITV Colour Strike which began on 13th November 1970 caused this episode to be recorded in black and white.
- In one scene William Roache can be glimpsed through glass leading to the hallway of No. 14 awaiting for his cue.
- On the end of the master tape of this episode, the Floor Manager is heard asking for the studio to set up for a retake of the whole of the first half of this episode and Anne Reid can be heard to say “What!” in exasperation. However the studio clock at the beginning of the episode still indicates that it is take 1 that was broadcast.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,850,000 homes (3rd place).
|January 1971 episodes|
|Mon 4th • Wed 6th • Mon 11th • Wed 13th • Mon 18th • Wed 20th • Mon 25th • Wed 27th|