|ITV transmission date||10th May 1971 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Executive Producer||H.V. Kershaw|
|Previous episode||5th May 1971|
|Next episode||12th May 1971|
Elsie is optimistic about her job chances. Stan and Ray enjoy doing work at the Carousel Club as it readies for opening where they ogle the girls auditioning as waitresses in skimpy outfits. Elsie goes for a job there but is not happy to see the uniform. Maggie rings up the warehouse and finds out that Pollard has returned to London and Dennis Maxwell is now the personnel manager. Annie makes an appointment to see him. Edith returns unexpectedly and catches Bet doing her hair and lashes in No.3. Stella Randell doesn’t take Elsie on as she is too much like her. Edith tells Ken she rushed down after speaking to the children about Margaret’s treatment and they row. Annie and Maggie tell Maxwell that Pollard was maliciously misinformed about Elsie and it’s called a lot of local ill-feeling. Alan isn’t pleased that Elsie applied for a job at a nightclub. Maxwell is told of Elsie’s history by Annie and Maggie and tells them he’ll reconsider the case. Len and Ray get the idea of inviting Ken to the club to bring him out of himself. Maxwell contacts Mr Maddox-Smith at Miami Modes and then tells his secretary to ask Elsie to call in on him as he’s taking her on.
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Candy Brown - Gwendolyn Watts
- Janet Stockwell - Andrea Lawrence
- Mrs. Tatlock - Clare Kelly
- Stella Randell - Pearl Catlin
- Dennis Maxwell - William Lucas
- Susie Proctor - Jill Pearson
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- Mark Brittain Warehouse - Dennis Maxwell's office
- Carousel Club
- The scene on the Grape Street set was OB recorded.
- TV Times synopsis: Elsie goes job hunting, while back in the street she has unexpected allies.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,250,000 homes (1st place).
|May 1971 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|