Alf delays having to break the bad news to Ena. Ken tries to talk to Edith but she’s made her appointment at the Town Hall. Ken tells her there’s nothing else to be said. Emily keeps Ena waiting in the Snug for Alf and Ernie to arrive. Irma dismisses Edith‘s chances but Elsie and Len make her realise that she can cause a lot of trouble. Ena guesses she hasn’t got the job from Alf and Ernie’s faces. Irma summons Edith to the Corner Shop and begs her not to take the twins from Ken, telling her she’s being destructive. Ena gets it out of Alf that Hetty Thorpe has got the job. Ken persuades Edith to cancel her appointment at the Town Hall and they take the twins to Glasgow to talk matters out. Edith apologises to Bet before she goes. Ena has a plan and orders Minnie to invite Hetty to tea at No. 5.
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Camera Shop
- Weatherfield Town Hall - Committee room
- TV Times synopsis: Futures at stake - for the Street's oldest and youngest.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,250,000 homes (10th place).
|May 1971 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|