Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||7th July 1971 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Executive Producer||H.V. Kershaw|
|Previous episode||5th July 1971|
|Next episode||12th July 1971|
The judges arrive: Annie on cakes, Emily on wines, Alf on beer, George Greenwood on flowers and veg. Maggie bakes a cake for Ray to enter. Alan agrees on £5 a week more plus 15%. Minnie gets drunk helping Alf test the beer. Emily also gets drunk on the wine. Len is horrified to learn that he has won the cake-decorating competition and he realises Ray has set him up with Maggie's cake. George recognises the Orchid as one of his own to Hilda's shame. Harriet Esmondhalgh wins the beer and wine prizes. Albert is praised for his Sweet Peas, Dahlias, Geraniums, Cabbages and wins the challenge cup. Hilda is sad that she has to stay with Stan and not George. Billy packs for London. An anonymous cartoonist has drawn cartoons of the judges for the Gazette - Annie is horrified at hers and threatens legal action against whoever is responsible.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public and back room
- Corner Shop
- Community Centre
- Canal Garage - Office
- Last appearance of Billy Walker until 3rd January 1972.
- TV Times synopsis: What a blooming carry-on!
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 5,500,000 homes (8th place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1970-1979, released on 25th July 2005. The transmission date on the DVD was given as 12th July 1971 in error.
|July 1971 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|