Elsie is annoyed as Alan didn’t get in until after midnight from work. Hilda continues to prod Annie’s suspicions about Ken drawing the cartoon. Emily tries to calm matters down. Hilda sees that Ernie is on one of the cartoons and she and Annie reach the conclusion that he can’t be the culprit. Ernie admits to Emily that he drew the cartoons and tells her he's landed a contract to do more for the Gazette. They argue and she tells him many people view them as attacks. Annie calls on Ken who convinces her he’s not the culprit. Dave Robbins tells Ken he’s looked up their old friends and they are all “respectable” and under the thumb of domineering wives, so unable to join the band. Ken puts Dave at ease over Val. They call up the last one on their list - Tim Wade. Len tells Elsie not to criticise Alan. She agrees she’s not being fair. Emily forces Ernie to tell the residents that he did the cartoon but with no spite or malice and Annie is being vain. Annie calls them offensive but no one backs her up. He gives her the original and she rips it up in front of everyone. Emily loses her temper with Hilda’s crowing. Drummer Tim Wade joins Ken and Dave. They play for Minnie. Ernie can’t understand by Emily isn’t proud of him. Albert complains about the noise of the band, saying Val wouldn’t have put up with him. Ken tells him he only put up with him for Val’s sake but he doesn’t care anymore. A friend from the cruise asks Annie for the original of the cartoon and Annie decides she's flattered after all. Emily tells her she’s finished with Ernie.
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug, back room and hallway
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, hallway and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Camera Shop
- In an error in the credits, Tim Wade is stated as playing "Ray Baron" instead of the other way round.
- In one scene set on the street, Emily heads for the Camera Shop but in the direction of Viaduct Street instead of Rosamund Street where it is placed. Both this and another scene on the Grape Street set were OB recorded.
- TV Times synopsis: The cartoonist sings - and Ken swings.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 5,900,000 homes (9th place).
|July 1971 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|