Stan and Hilda argue over the shower. Stan asks Irma if he smells and she tells him yes. Albert cons Elsie into sewing some buttons on his best shirt and then washing and ironing it for him. Ernie shocks Betty by asking for a pint of bitter and determines to wait for Emily until she arrives back at the Rovers. She uses the back door to avoid him. Beattie calls on Albert again. Not only has Norman taken up bowling but he’s going to a wrestling match as well. Albert tells Beattie to take a firm stand with him, threatening to leave him if he doesn't do as she tells him. Stan comes to an arrangement with Len to get him to put Hilda off the idea of a shower. Betty tells Emily about the engagement ring but she isn’t impressed. Alan buys chocolates in the Corner Shop for Elsie for their wedding anniversary. Irma looks longingly after him. Ernie continues to drink. Ken prepares for another band practice. Len puts Hilda off a shower by telling her it would cost £250 to £300, dependent on the model, plus a fitting charge. She claims the hot water will exacerbate Stan’s bad back. Irma calls round on Alan with a cream cake and chats him up. Ernie is blind drunk in the Rovers by afternoon closing time. He threatens to haunt Emily. Beattie turns up at Albert’s with a suitcase - she threatened to leave Norman but he went out anyway and she had to go as promised. Albert isn't pleased.
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Irma Barlow - Sandra Gough
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Tanner")
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug and hallway
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room, hallway and kitchen
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- One year after the episode which featured the wedding of Elsie Tanner to Alan Howard, this is the last episode to credit her under the "Tanner" surname until Episode 1825 (12th July 1978).
- Alan Browning makes a mistake when he speaks of Ken Barlow leaving the Canal Garage rather than Billy Walker.
- TV Times synopsis: A suitor scorned, a wife neglected - and a husband pursued.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 5,550,000 homes (9th place).
|July 1971 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|