Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||11th August 1971 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Executive Producer||H.V. Kershaw|
|Previous episode||9th August 1971|
|Next episode||16th August 1971|
Annie and Ernie celebrate their birthdays. Ena and Lucille prepare the Community Centre for Ernie's party. Irma is rushed into hospital with appendicitis. The Ogdens' TV is repossessed. Stan gives Ernie the ring back. Nellie Harvey tries to get at Annie over her age. Emily gives Ernie cufflinks for his birthday. He gives her the ring. Guests at the engagement party are Ena, Stan, Hilda, Lucille, Bet, Elsie, Betty, Maggie and Mavis Riley. Maggie takes unemployed Janet Reid on at the shop. Janet confesses she fancies Alan.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Miss Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Janet Reid - Judith Barker
- Rovers Return Inn - Public and back room
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Community Centre
- First appearance of Janet Reid since 18th June 1969.
- First appearance of Mavis Riley (initially credited as "Miss Riley") and last until 3rd April 1972.
- This and the following episodes were rewritten to take into account the absence of Sandra Gough who was absent from the programme until 20th September 1971 due to personal issues. The original intention was that Irma would have the affair with Alan Howard and Judith Barker was hurriedly brought into to reprise of the role of Janet Reid with the storyline transferring to her character.
- Nellie Harvey speaks of her husband being named "Herbert" rather than the later-established Arthur.
- TV Times synopsis: Congratulations…and celebrations.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,050,000 homes (4th place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1970-1979, released on 25th July 2005.
|August 1971 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|