|ITV transmission date||3rd January 1972 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Script editor||Malcolm Lynch|
|Previous episode||29th December 1971|
|Next episode||5th January 1972|
Maggie and Lucille scrap the shop slate as a New Year's resolution. Annie isn’t too bothered about the missing handbag as she enjoyed her night so much. Hilda tries to gossip to her and Emily about the Howard’s spilt. Elsie tells Maggie she suspects Alan’s with Janet Reid. Hilda tries to push Elsie for gossip and gets an earful in response. No one knows where Alan is staying. Elsie also rips into Ivy and Edna when she thinks they’re talking about her but realises she was mistaken. Emily is summoned to Bury to see her ill Auntie May. Nellie and Kitty call at the Rovers to see if Gerald Prince has called and Annie hears that he has her handbag. Jerry tells Alan he sympathises with his situation. Hilda wants her and Stan to leave within their means from now on but he points out that they’re skint. He watches as Lucille returns a bag full of empties for the pub and gets an idea. Gerald calls on Annie at the Rovers and returns the evening bag, much to Nellie and Kitty’s jealousy. Stan skives off work to collect empties. Gerald avoids accepting an invitation from Kitty and Nellie to go out for lunch in Manchester with Annie instead. Ivy and Edna invite Elsie out with them. Stan returns a sackful of bottles but only gets 10p as only four of the bottles come from Newton & Ridley. Emily has to look after Auntie May and she plans to move the two of them into the studio flat. Annie and Gerald plan to meet again. Elsie refuses to meet Alan halfway. Billy Walker arrives from London at the Canal Garage at 4.30am and finds Alan sleeping there.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Edna Gee - Mavis Rogerson
- Nellie Harvey - Mollie Sugden
- Kitty Stonely - Stella Moray
- Lt.Commander Prince - David Davies
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, back room and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Mark Brittain Warehouse - Checking room and supervisor’s office
- Canal Garage and office
- First appearance of Billy Walker since 7th July 1971.
- TV Times synopsis: Elsie faces the gossips, and Annie meets her prince.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,900,000 homes (11th place).
Elsie Howard: "I'm an expert on marriage breakdowns."
|January 1972 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|