Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||17th January 1972 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Previous episode||12th January 1972|
|Next episode||19th January 1972|
Ken sets off his first day as Deputy Head at Bessie Street School. The Howards are reconciled, agreeing that making up after a row is the best part. Billy pushes Alan for an answer but he replies that his 48 hours isn't up and he has a couple of phone calls to make first. Ken is pleased to arrive back at the school. Wilfred Perkins welcomes Ken before he begins teaching class 4A but reprimands him for not attending assembly. Alan hears from Mark Howard that Laura has opened a salon in Harrogate. Ken's first history lesson is on the First World War. He gets annoyed when Perkins attends the class and takes over the maintenance of discipline from him. Ernie and Emily discuss where to go on honeymoon. Ernie gets more impatient with Auntie May's presence and her refusal to eat the meals that Emily makes her. Betty wants to help Maggie in the shop but Annie can't spare her. Alan finds it difficult to come up with the money. Billy agrees to give him until dinnertime the next day. Ivy and Edna are pleased for Elsie and Alan. Maggie isn't pleased when Betty turns up to help her out. Perkins tells Ken that the Great War isn't part of the exam curriculum and to change his lessons.
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Edna Gee - Mavis Rogerson
- Wilfred Perkins - Wensley Pithey
- Charlie Pickering - David Lott (Credited as
- Mark Hillkirk - Mark Adshead "Boys in Class")
- Terry Bates - John Barratt (Uncredited)
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug and hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Camera Shop Flat
- Bessie Street School - Yard and classroom
- Unknown streets
- The end credits are run over a montage of shots of children playing in the ginnels of terraced back streets.
- TV Times synopsis: Ken returns to Bessie Street school - as deputy headmaster
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,600,000 homes (6th place).
|January 1972 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|