|ITV transmission date||15th January 1962 (Monday)|
|Writer|| Harry Driver|
|Previous episode||10th January 1962|
|Next episode||17th January 1962|
Elsie decides to ring Linda using the phone at Miami Modes as Mrs Dumbarton has left the department. Dennis awaits his cheque from Lenny Phillips and excitedly opens a letter addressed to 'Ricky Dennis', only to find it's Jed asking him to repay £1 he borrowed from him. Minnie's mother's banging on the ceiling begins to get to Ena and she feels that she has to move on from 15 Jubilee Terrace. Elsie and Dennis call Linda in Canada. Elsie and Dennis split the cost between them but Elsie hogs the receiver. Albert gives Dennis the letter from Lenny after it's delivered to the vestry by mistake. Minnie's mother gets up when she hears Ena has gone. Ena turns up at Martha's door expecting to be taken in. Martha tells her there's no room as she's putting up Lily's family while she's in hospital. The Walkers cash Dennis's cheque for £8 16/-. Annie grumbles when he uses the Rovers phone again as he keeps leaving it off the hook. Dennis treats Elsie to a roast dinner with pineapple and whipped cream for afters. Annie is impressed by his gesture and gives him a bottle of port with her compliments. Ena goes missing with her hot water bottle. Elsie is dubious about Dennis's cookery skills but enjoys being fussed over. The residents wonder if Florrie is courting. Ena arrives back to stay at the mission. Albert tells her she can't.
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Glad Tidings Mission Hall - Vestry
- 15 Jubilee Terrace - Back room
- Mawdsley Street
- Miami Modes
- A scene of Dennis Tanner channel-hopping at 11 Coronation Street is unusual in that the two programmes he tunes into are shown in full-screen.
- The exterior of Mawdsley Street as seen in this episode is in fact a re-purposed Coronation Street, as shown by the fact that the bay window of No.9 is covered with newspapers just like 9 Coronation Street.
- TV Times synopsis: Dennis prepares a surprise and Minnie and Ena reach a crisis. Florrie Lindley's nightly excursions continue, and Albert Tatlock receives an unexpected visitor.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,533,000 homes (2nd place).
|January 1962 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th
Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st