Emily is surprised when Ernie turns up for Sunday service in gumboots and outdoor gear as he has a photographic job after the service at the canal taking images on the theme of pollution. She worries that people will talk. Alf is shocked to hear that Maggie plans to go and live in London. Hilda wants to decorate the hall but Stan refuses. Elsie looks forward to a visit from her grandson Paul Cheveski. Alf and Maggie go for a walk by the canal. He tells her of the distance between himself and his wife. They meet Emily and Ernie at their work. Maggie summons the Turpins and Annie to the shop to hear her decision. Hilda insists on attending with Stan to make sure that Irma's interests are seen to. Maggie tells them she's getting a bank loan to buy Irma's share herself. Only the Ogdens are pleased by the decision though Maggie's relieved that the matter is over. Lucille tells Ray that she heard noises in the yard even though it was supposedly closed. Betty considers handing in her notice. Emily visits Auntie May at the Bluebells old folks' home and finds that she's very happy. Len and Ray go round to the yard. Under a large piece of tarpaulin they discover a boat being built by Jerry..
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Emily Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Cyril Turpin - William Moore
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Rovers Return Inn - Public and hallway
- Corner Shop - Back room
- Fairclough and Langton - Yard
- Camera Shop Flat - Living room/kitchen
- Last appearance of Cyril Turpin until 17th July 1972.
- Alf Roberts refers to his wife as "Florrie" instead of the later-established Phyllis.
- A customer in the Rovers is uncredited although he has several lines of dialogue.
- TV Times synopsis: Maggie calls a meeting to announce her decision about the shop.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,000,000 homes (7th place).
|March 1972 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th|