|ITV transmission date||21st August 1972 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Executive Producer||H.V. Kershaw|
|Previous episode||16th August 1972|
|Next episode||23rd August 1972|
Lucille spreads the word that Rita's engagement to Benny is over. Alf's wife is taken into hospital. Nellie Harvey tells Annie that the national president of the LVA, Ethne Willoughby, is to call on her. Annie insists that the regulars wear ties in the Rovers for when she is due to call. A travelling salesman offers to take Maggie to the Rovers but it's only to discuss business. Len insists that Rita give Benny his ring back. Maggie is depressed at being on her own. Ethne arrives at the Rovers with Nellie and gets on well with Annie. She shows an interest in the Preston Guild and Nellie promises to get her a ticket. The residents get the wrong idea and think that Len is marrying Rita. Norma puts an advert in the Gazette's personal column for Maggie without telling her.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Norma Ford - Diana Davies
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug, hallway and back room
- Corner Shop and back room
- Rita Littlewood's flat
- TV Times synopsis: Maggie gets depressed - Annie impressed.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 5,915,000 homes (4th place).
|August 1972 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|