The Ogdens continue to spurn the residents though Stan thinks no one is bothered. Hilda wants to get her Preston Guild money back from Albert. Norma tries to persuade Maggie to ring Ron Cooke but she refuses. Billy tries to get Jerry to take up cycling again. Alf tells the regulars that the hospital are doing tests on Phyllis Roberts. Maggie starts to get impatient with Norma's match-making, afraid of what Ron is like. Spotting a chink in Maggie's excuses, Norma manages to get her to make the phone call. While she is doing so, Norma lies to Alf when he calls in and says that Maggie is at the wholesalers to prevent him disturbing her call. Maggie enjoys talking to Ron and he agrees to come round. Albert refuses to give Stan and Hilda a refund, saying that it's breaking the rules he's set out as trip organiser. Maggie is on hot bricks as she gets ready for Ron's arrival but she finds him very presentable when he does so. Stan and Hilda decide to brave the Rovers and prick people's consciences. Maggie and Ron both like each other and feel they need more excitement in their lives as a change from their everyday existences. Alf calls in again to see Maggie but is thrown when he sees Ron emerge from the back room. The Ogdens call into the pub but, aside from a drink on the house from Billy, no one bats an eyelid. Ron and Maggie go out for the evening and enjoy their compatibility. They agree to go out again. Alf calls into the hospital to say that Phyllis is on the danger list.
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Norma Ford - Diana Davies
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room
- Corner Shop and back room
- The directions that Maggie Clegg gives to Ron Cooke to find the Corner Shop indicates that the railway bridge over Rosamund Street which was first seen after the expansion of the 1982 Outdoor Set (which took place in 1999) had always been a permanent fixture within the narrative.
- The Flying Horse's address is given by Stan Ogden as Rosamund Street rather than the usual Jubilee Terrace.
- TV Times synopsis: New man for Maggie - and new manoeuvres at the Ogdens.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 4,521,000 homes (chart placing unknown).
|August 1972 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|