Ray and Len make fun of Jerry's attempts at education. Doing work on Benny Lewis's flat, Ray uses the phone to ring Sharon Duffy and arranges to meet her later there. Bet sees in the paper that Johnny Owens of the Flying Horse is boasting that he's a beer-drinking champion. Stan agrees to challenge him at the Pub Olympics and starts his training. Ena is cynical about Norma's studying. As Ken can't use No.1 for the next lesson, Maggie suggests using the flat. A pleased Norma plans to "forget" to tell Jerry. Emily is bored and feels cut off from the community. Bet sets up Ray for the Pub Olympics at crib and he agrees to spy on the opposing team. Ena and Minnie interrupt Jerry studying Keats in the snug. Ken tells Jerry about the change of venue. Ena drops hints to Ken as to why Jerry is so keen to study. Dressed to the nines in Benny's smoking jacket, Ray entertains an impressed Sharon in "his" luxury pad. Norma is a bit put out when Jerry arrives for the lesson. He tries to proposition her but loses his nerve. Ray tells Sharon lies when she spots that his smoking jacket has a "B" on it. Ernie agrees to captain the Rovers team, hearing that his only duty is to get Stan to the Flying Horse on time. Emily is pleased until she hears that it's on 18th October - her birthday - and Ernie seems to have forgotten it. Sharon spots a photo in the flat of Benny in Ray's jacket. He talks himself out of it and takes her to a club. Stan tells Len that a book has started on him beating Johnny Owens. Len tells Bet that he's going to bet against him and nobble him.
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Norma Ford - Diana Davies
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- 15a Coronation Street - Bed/sitting room
- Benny Lewis's flat
- TV Times synopsis: The pub pentathlon gets under way.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,000,000 homes (8th place).
|October 1972 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|