Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||12th February 1962 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Previous episode||7th February 1962|
|Next episode||14th February 1962|
The "Ex-student slams neighbours" story appears in the paper:
- "Kenneth Barlow, 24-year old schoolmaster of 3, Coronation Street jeered at the simple pleasures of his homely neighbours in a scathing 2,000 word attack in the left wing political review Survival. Summing up the attitude of the people he lives and works among, Barlow described them as 'lazy-minded, politically ignorant, starved of a real culture and stubbornly prejudiced against any advance in human insight, and scientific progress' ".
Len and Harry grow very angry over the article. Frank rows with Ken, ashamed of his disloyalty to his class. He tells Ken he can't write any more articles. Harry wants to write complaining to the papers but Len feels it would do no good. Elsie feels the article was well-written but warns Ken that Len is after him. Len insults Ken to Frank and refuses to apologise causing Frank almost to fight him in the Street. Ken realises he'll have to stand up to the residents. When he tries to put across his view point in the Rovers, Len hits him and they brawl across the pub, Ken being knocked out.
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, hallway and bathroom
- Ken Barlow's age is stated as being 24 in this episode whereas it was later established that he was born in October 1939 and should therefore be 22.
- TV Times synopsis: While the regulars at the Rover's discover that they have become big news, Kenneth Barlow remains unaware of the stir he has created. But when Frank learns that the Street has hit the headlines, a heated evening ends in uproar for the Barlow family.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,664,000 homes (2nd place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1960-1969, released on 31st July 2006.
Len Fairclough (to Ken): "Look, if there's one thing wrong with Coronation Street it's because it sometimes throws up nasty, snivelling, clever dicks like you"
|February 1962 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|