Ken goes to Glasgow to visit Peter and Susan and Ena goes to West Hartlepool to visit Karen, Colin, and Jason Lomax for Christmas Day. Elsie realises that Alan is on his way to getting a drink problem. The residents gather in the select of the Rovers for the 40's show:
Billy as Master of Ceremonies
Alf and Ernie as the Western Brothers
Rita as Marlene Dietrich
Annie sings "There'll Always Be an England", dressed as Britannia
Ray and Jerry as Flanagan and Allen sing "Underneath the Arches"
Norma, Bet and Betty as the Andrew Sisters sing "Apple Blossom Time"
Albert as Robb Wilton
Emily as Carmen Miranda
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Norma Ford - Diana Davies
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- This was the only episode on the programme to be broadcast on Christmas Day in the 1970s.
- TV Times synopsis: At last the 1940s show.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast: 3,269,000 homes (chart placing unknown - this was the lowest-rated episode of the year).
- This episode was repeated on Saturday 12th December 1981 at 10.35pm as part of a week of repeats celebrating Coronation Street 's 21st anniversary. The repeat took place on Friday 11th December at 5.15pm in the regions covered by Westward Television and Channel Television and on the same Friday but at 10.35pm by London Weekend Television. Ulster Television did not transmit the repeat. All other regions followed the Granada broadcast. This repeat was seen by 8,980,000 viewers (chart placing unknown but outside the top twenty). The other episodes repeated in the week were Episode 194 (the Walkers' silver wedding), Episode 1756 (the Ogdens' second honeymoon), Episode 1710 (the Street's Silver Jubilee preparations) and Episode 1697 (Len Fairclough marries Rita Littlewood) although with the exception of Episode 194 and Episode 1697 these repeats were not screened in all of the ITV regions (see individual episode entries for details).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1970-1979, released on 25th July 2005.
|December 1972 episodes|
|Mon 4th • Wed 6th • Mon 11th • Wed 13th • Mon 18th • Wed 20th • Mon 25th • Wed 27th|