Ena is in a foul mood after being caught drinking alcohol by Mr. Baxter. Minnie and Martha find her cleaning the mission from top to bottom the morning after the party. Ena takes her friends to task for not offering to help her. Elsie wishes that Dennis would learn a trade. Dennis argues that he's providing an essential service by entertaining people. The Glad Tidings committee thinks about putting on a variety concert for the Over 60's Club. Dennis agrees to help Albert plan the event. Concepta tells Annie that Harry has stopped running around after her. Dennis books Captain Johnson and his Troupe for the concert. Annie doesn't like Dennis monopolising the Rovers phone and makes Jack have a word. Dennis gets the wrong idea and thinks Jack is being nosy. Minnie and Martha hear him tell Jack about the concert. Martha assumes that Ena already knows but the lady in question is surprised when she asks her about it. Elsie starts looking favourably on Dennis's career choice. She realises she's forgotten her own birthday when Ena mentions that it's on the same day as Colin Lomax's. Ena refuses to allow the concert at the mission and tells Dennis it's off. Minnie and Martha rebel against Ena and Martha calls her evil for upsetting everyone. The committee gives their permission for the concert. Ena is furious to learn that she's been overruled. She warns Albert and Dennis that it'll end in disaster.
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug and hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- Viaduct Street
- Glad Tidings Mission Hall
- Ena Sharples's mention of the Queen and Prince Philip contravened a law forbidding stage plays and films from referencing living members of the Royal Family, however this seems to have passed without comment at the time. See also the note to Episode 149.
- Kenneth Barlow (William Roache) is credited but doesn't appear.
- TV Times synopsis: Albert Tatlock announces a Grand Charity Concert at the Mission Hall in aid of the Over Sixties' Club and enlists the help of Dennis Tanner to put on a special Spectacular. But Ena Sharples has other ideas so that Albert and Dennis are forced to take emergency action.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,902,000 homes (2nd place).
|March 1962 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|