|ITV transmission date||16th July 1973 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Previous episode||11th July 1973|
|Next episode||18th July 1973|
Alf confides in Maggie but she is upset he didn't tell her about Bet in the first place. He feared she'd see Bet as the other woman. She's glad she didn't agree to be his Mayoress. Bet's handbag is recovered with everything still in it. It had been tossed over a wall in the ginnels. The police realise that Bet was targetted by her attacker. Annie thanks Elsie for signing the petition and buys her a drink, unaware that Lucille forged her name. Ena gets to Elsie before the truth emerges and prevents any ill-feeling. The vicar gives Ernie a budgie to get rid of as it has started using rude words. Elsie receives a phone call which upsets her and she refuses to tell Alan about it. Alan realises something is wrong when gets the budgie for her and she reacts angrily. He lets Mavis have it. Annie apologises to Alf for leaving him in the lurch and promises she'll be the ideal Mayoress from now on. Rita feels that she's not happy in her relationship - she wants something more permanent. Alan tries to find out what's wrong with Elsie; she feigns a headache. Maggie thinks she was too tough on Alf. Alf tells Annie all about Norman Leach and the blackmail before going to the police station.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug, bedroom
- 11 Coronation Street - Back rooms
- Corner Shop - Back room
- The Kabin
- Weatherfield Police Station - Outside entrance
- Two customers in The Kabin are uncredited, despite having lines of dialogue.
- TV Times synopsis: Will the Mayor tell all about the blackmailer?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,450,000 homes (4th place).
|July 1973 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|