Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||26th September 1973 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Director||June Wyndham Davies|
|Previous episode||24th September 1973|
|Next episode||1st October 1973|
Norma holds out hope that Ken and Janet were meeting to talk business as they're both in education. Stan takes up a pipe as he only promised to lay off cigarettes. Ray gets a letter from Len asking why he hasn't heard from Rita. The residents find ways to cope with not being able to smoke; Ray carries a dummy cigarette in his mouth while Elsie eats sweets. Janet calls to tell Ken she's found a supply teacher for him. They go for lunch and get to know each other. Vera Hopkins marches her daughter Tricia back to the Rovers, this time wearing her school uniform and looking her age, to berate Annie for serving underage girls. Annie berates Vera in turn for giving Tricia enough money to be able to afford fashionable clothes and buy expensive drinks. She bars them from the Rovers. Alf tells Annie that Norman Leach has got seven years in prison. Elsie doesn't mind that Janet is back in the area as she can relate to her need for a fella. Conrad Farmer looks for Len to thank him for rescuing his depressed wife from the canal and staying with her until their daughter came home. Alf realises that this was why Len didn't turn up at the Town Hall to stop him resigning over Norman Leach.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Norma Ford - Diana Davies
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Deirdre Hunt - Anne Kirkbride (Credited as "Deirdre Hunt")
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Janet Reid - Judith Barker
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Tricia Hopkins - Kathy Jones
- Mrs Hopkins - Kathy Staff
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room, hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop
- The Kabin
- Department of Education - Observation room and roof
- The scenes at the Department of Education were recorded at the CIS Tower in Manchester. In some shots, the film crew was stationed in the building's service tower looking down on William Roache and Judith Barker who were on the roof of the adjoining office tower. The end credits were shown against the high-rise view of inner Manchester, looking towards Victoria Station.
- Last appearance of Tricia Hopkins until 8th July 1974.
- First appearance of Vera Hopkins and last until 6th February 1974.
- TV Times synopsis: Janet and Ken are up in the clouds.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,050,000 homes (3rd place).
Annie Walker: “Right. Now you had your say Mrs. Hopkins, now I'll have mine. If stupid parents think they can discharge their responsibilities by giving their children enough money to dress beyond their years and to buy expensive drinks, then I agree with you, there is something wrong with the world. And another thing, we asked your daughter how old she was, and I'm sorry to have to tell you but she is a very accomplished liar. And her lies which we accepted as the truth could have got me into very serious trouble, so if you wish us to treat your daughter as a sixteen-year-old child, Mrs. Hopkins, then I suggest that you treat her as a sixteen-year-old child and if she can't spend her money wisely then I suggest that you don't give her so much. It's as simple as that. Now, I know what your daughter looks like Mrs. Hopkins, and I know what you look like, and I'd be very happy if neither of you ever came into this public house again.”
|September 1973 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th|