Albert believes that the children in hospital like hearing his war stories but Betty points out that they're in bed and can't get away. Albert scolds Alan for not visiting Mark Hillkirk. Alan blames himself for causing Mark's accident. Judge Carson reveals the case is over as someone from the Yard has paid in the VAT money owing. Len and Ray want the case to go on as they don't feel that Customs and Excise are entitled to the money but the sum has already been accepted. The men realise that Jerry paid the debt and are furious. Len accuses Jerry of buying his way back into the firm but he insists that he did so as they were being pig-headed and stood no chance of winning. Ray admits he's relieved that he won't have to go to jail. Jerry refuses to let them repay him. Mavis reveals to Jerry that The Kabin has been transferred into Rita's name. Ken and Janet go house-hunting. Janet turns down an affordable semi before they've even gone inside as it's too small. Ray decides to put £200 into the firm and asks Len to do the same by selling the Kabin. Jerry makes Len admit that it's no longer his to sell. Ray, Jerry and Rita turn on him for selfishly protecting his investment. Alan gives Mark a toy car and meets his mother, who doesn't bear him any grudges. Janet wants to go for a £12,500 detached house. Ken tells her it's £2,000 over what he can afford. He refuses to live in a stately home and starve. Mr Wormold puts the rent on No.1 and No.5 up 50p a week. Janet reveals she has £1,500 saved. Ken agrees to see the house properly. Len packs and leaves the area.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Janet Barlow - Judith Barker
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Mark Hillkirk - Mark Adshead
- Mrs Hillkirk - Brenda Elder
- Judge Carson - Patrick Barr
- Mr Geddes - Michael Turner
- Court Clerk - Geoff Tomlinson
- Court Usher - Julia Lang
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room
- Corner Shop
- Fairclough and Langton
- Court room
- Hospital room
- Two unknown streets
- The exteriors of the houses viewed by Ken and Janet Barlow in this episode were recorded on Outside Broadcast video.
- TV Times synopsis: Mavis lets a cat out the bag - and starts a chain reaction of rows.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,600,000 homes (4th place).
|November 1973 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|