|ITV transmission date||16th January 1974 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Previous episode||14th January 1974|
|Next episode||21st January 1974|
Hilda applies to be Rita's assistant. Stan advises her to go easy on the makeup as Rita will see her as competition. Lucille wants to leave the Betting Shop and asks Rita to take her on. Rita agrees to hire her without an interview. When Hilda protests, Len insists they both have trials, sure that Hilda will fail however she proves her worth with her initial customers and gains Len's approval when she generously laces Len's tea with whisky. Douglas Wormold wants £7 a week for No.11. The Barlows take it. Wormold buys the Howards' furniture so that he can let the house furnished. Alan sells the garage but doesn't tell anyone who he sold it to. Lucille gives up her job at the Betting Shop and asks Alan if she can live with them in Newcastle but they want to break all ties. She moves in with Lorraine Binks. Stan bodges things up for Hilda when she gives him money to spend in the shop in a carefully prepared scene to show Rita how efficient she is. Instead Stan spends it in the Rovers and rolls up drunk to The Kabin where he giggles and says he's forgotten what Hilda told him to say. Lucille gets the job instead. Stan tells Hilda it's her own fault for leaving him in a pub with £3. Alan is suspicious about Wormold renting the house to the Barlows furnished which means it can be easier for him to quickly evict tenants. Len confirms Alan's suspicions that the street is down for redevelopment.
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Alan Howard - Alan Browning
- Janet Barlow - Judith Barker
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, hallway
- Final appearance of Alan Browning as Alan Howard.
- TV Times synopsis: Will Hilda land the new job she wants?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,150,000 homes (11th place).
|January 1974 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|