Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||21st January 1974 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Previous episode||16th January 1974|
|Next episode||23rd January 1974|
The Barlows install themselves at No.11. Janet doesn't like Elsie's taste in decor or furniture. Douglas Wormold is the frontman for the London development buying up properties although the plans haven't yet been approved. Len favour the development as he owns three properties in the area. Maggie tells Alf she plans to enlarge the shop - knocking into the storeroom and making it self-service. Alf worries about Maggie's plans because the shop could be demolished but, as the development is confidential, he can only caution her due to the expense. Billy returns as Alan has offered him first refusal on the Canal Garage. Annie worries that he has returned to ask for money. He denies it but doesn't tell her about the garage. Maggie gets an architect in - an old friend of Gordon's - who tells her it'll cost over £1,000. Hilda sees him and guesses that Maggie is having the shop done up. Janet wants to start having friends over for dinner now that she and Ken have their own home. Billy checks with Len that Alan isn't trying to fleece him. Betty finds a wad of £2,000 in cash in Billy's case.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Janet Barlow - Judith Barker
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Deirdre Hunt - Anne Kirkbride
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- First appearance of Billy Walker since 23rd May 1973.
- Deirdre Hunt gives her address as 23 Victoria Street in this episode, instead of the later established 20 Victoria Street. Her home had not yet been seen at this point in the series.
- TV Times synopsis: Why has Billy Walker returned to the Street, and where did he get the roll of bank notes?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,800,000 homes (5th place).
Janet Barlow: "It must be nice to go round buying up all sorts of places at the drop of a hat. Like the bloke that owns this one. What's his name again? Keep forgetting. It's unusual."
Ken Barlow: "Wormold. It's a name that's often struck terror into this street".
Annie Walker: "No one expects loyalty from the working classes today - just bad backs".
|January 1974 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|