|ITV transmission date||23rd January 1974 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Previous episode||21st January 1974|
|Next episode||28th January 1974|
Betty tells Bet about Billy's £2,000. They wonder why he hasn't told anyone. The Barlows plan to entertain Ken's colleague, George Hawthorn and wife. Hilda puts herself forward as an assistant for Maggie when she expands the shop. Alan has a cash offer from Douglas Wormold for the Canal Garage. Len advises Billy to go after the garage to get a bigger profit from Wormold himself. He does so and buys it. Maggie pays £45 for the shop plans. Annie worries about where Billy got the money from and wonders why Wormold wants to buy a garage. The Barlows give Elsie's painting of the green girl to Hilda, hating it themselves. Hilda thinks it's classy. Maggie asks Len to do the conversion but he tells her to forget the idea. She realises he knows something. The Barlows' guests don't arrive as their babysitter has let them down so they have a candlelit dinner to themselves. Billy gives Annie the £200 he owed her. Betty takes a phone call for Billy that man is after him for an Alfa Romeo that he sold him. Billy is unconcerned but Annie overhears and begins to worry.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Janet Barlow - Judith Barker
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Deirdre Hunt - Anne Kirkbride
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug, back room, hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back rooms
- Corner Shop
- Fairclough, Langton and Booth
- TV Times synopsis: Will Len be in time to save Maggie from wasting her money?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,400,000 homes (8th place).
|January 1974 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|