Janet invites her friends round for a meal. Annie questions Billy who reveals he sold a man a second-hand Alfa Romeo for £1,100 and passed it off as new when the buyer insisted on a new car for the cheap and unreasonable price. Maggie tells Betty she's shelved the expansion plans. Douglas Wormold alarms Rita by turning up at The Kabin. Ena returns from St. Anne's. Billy agrees to do Deirdre's bike up if she'll do his typing. Wormold offers Len £5,000 for The Kabin - £1,000 more than it's worth - and wonders how he'll vote in the forthcoming committee meeting. Alf doesn't think the plans will go through as they don't have enough support. Albert annoys Janet by interrupting her dinner party. Maggie is annoyed that Alf didn't tell her about the shop before Len and snubs him when he tries to buy her a drink. Ken doesn't like the snobby Barretts. Len celebrates when Wormold writes Rita a down payment cheque of £1,000 but she rips it up; the shop's in her name and she's not selling.
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Janet Barlow - Judith Barker
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Deirdre Hunt - Anne Kirkbride
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- TV Times synopsis: Len gets an offer he can't refuse, but finds Rita has other ideas…
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,700,000 homes (6th place).
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug, back room, hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back rooms
- The Kabin
- Canal Garage
Bet Lynch (about Annie Walker): "You know, when she sweeps past me like that I don't know whether to stand to attention or fire a fifteen gun salute."
|January 1974 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|