Ken goes to Glasgow to fetch Peter and Susan. Albert is pleased when Janet tells him as he was resigned to sending them their birthday presents by post. Edith Tatlock can't see Janet as a stepmother. With Ken, Annie and Bet unavailable, rehearsals for The Importance of Being Earnest go ahead with a skeleton crew. Ernie makes Emily the prompter. Rita is cast as Miss Prism. Ernie doesn't like Rita's send up of Miss Prism and she walks out, branding the whole thing a farce. To get through the rehearsal, the actors have to play multiple roles. A peeved Len plays Bet's part. Billy think Danny Burrows is going out with Lorraine Binks. Lucille tells Billy the truth. Edith tells Ken to ask Peter and Susan if they want to return to Weatherfield.
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Janet Barlow - Judith Barker
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Deirdre Hunt - Anne Kirkbride
- Susan Barlow - Wendy Jane Walker
- Peter Barlow - Linus Roache
- 11 Coronation Street - Back rooms
- Community Centre - Stage room
- The Kabin
- Canal Garage
- Danny Burrows's bedsit
- Glasgow - Park
- First appearance of Peter Barlow since 24th October 1973 and last until 16th April 1975.
- First appearance of Susan Barlow since 24th October 1973, last until 31st December 1979 and last appearance of Wendy Jane Walker in the role until 21st October 1985. The role is taken over by Suzy Paterson in the interim period.
- TV Times synopsis: Ken Barlow meets his ex-wife's mother again - and asks for the return of the twins.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,800,000 homes (5th place).
Billy Walker: “Whoever had the idea of doing The Importance of Being Earnest with that lot must be round the flaming twist, all them posh accents god knows what they sound like, I reckon we'll have Stan and Hilda dancing Swan Lake for afters.”
|March 1974 episodes|
|Mon 4th • Wed 6th • Mon 11th • Wed 13th • Mon 18th • Wed 20th • Mon 25th • Wed 27th|