|ITV transmission date||4th April 1962 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Vince Powell|
|Previous episode||2nd April 1962|
|Next episode||9th April 1962|
Minnie and Martha smuggle a bottle of milk stout into the hospital in a bunch of plastic tulips. Ena reveals her locker full of bottles - the patients are allowed one a day on the NHS and the rest of the ward are teetotal. Elsie shocks Ena by visiting her, worried about her condition. Minnie and Martha buy Ena a mynah bird called Archie as a welcome home present. Len reveals to Harry that Nellie and Stanley have left home.
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- The day prior to the transmission of this episode, on 3rd April 1962, the Equity actors' strike was called off. Although it would take until 23rd April before another of the regular cast reappeared, Granada could now start planning storylines which did not just revolve around the core cast of thirteen.
- TV Times synopsis: While Ena's old friends and neighbours continue to wait for more news from the hospital, talk grows among the other residents about Len Fairclough's decorating work at Elsie Tanner's. But when closing time is called at the Rover's Len learns he has more to fear than gossip. He tells Harry about a shock from home.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,054,000 homes (2nd place).
Elsie Tanner: "They've bin talkin' about me ever since I put me first pair o'nylons on."
|April 1962 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|