|ITV transmission date||17th April 1974 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Producer|| Eric Prytherch|
|Previous episode||15th April 1974|
|Next episode||22nd April 1974|
Sandra Burrows tells Lucille she's been laid off from work and hasn't had any maintenance from Danny for six weeks. Ernie starts insulting his cast. Sandra tells Lucille she and Danny have only been parted for six months and she'll have to wait eighteen months for a divorce; they broke up because he didn't want children. Lucille gives her £5. When Danny refuses to commit himself to Lucille she packs and leaves. Rita takes her in. When his leadership is challenged, Ernie walks out. Emily takes over the show to the cast's delight.
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Deirdre Hunt - Anne Kirkbride
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- TV Times synopsis: "The Importance of Being Earnest" gets to be too much for Ernest.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,500,000 homes (4th place).
|April 1974 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th|