|ITV transmission date||13th May 1974 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Previous episode||8th May 1974|
|Next episode||15th May 1974|
Stan wants to know who his minder is while Hilda is away working on the cruise ship. He suspects Emily when she calls round first thing. Ken decides not to tell Janet about Sir Julius Berlin's job offer until he knows what he wants to do; she thinks he made a fool of himself by running when Sir Julius clicked his fingers. Bet has left for Morecambe. Stan splashes out on drink with his housekeeping money. He decides to follow Hilda's example and have exotic meals while she's away. Ken asks Wilfred Perkins' opinion on the warehouse. Perkins advises him not to rush into it. After Stan pays £2.50 for a Chinese dinner and gets heartburn, Gertie tries to advise him how to spend his time and money more wisely. Maggie refuses Stan credit as Hilda hadn't settled her bill. He realises he isn't going to survive as he's spent nearly all Hilda's money. Aboard the Monte Umber, Hilda works like a slave. Janet has no faith in Ken at all. She doesn't think he's capable of finding opportunities.
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Janet Barlow - Judith Barker
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Deirdre Hunt - Anne Kirkbride
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Maggie Clegg - Irene Sutcliffe
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room
- Corner Shop
- Fairclough, Langton and Booth - Office
- Bessie Street School - Schoolyard and headmaster's office
- The Monte Umber - Passenger lounge and cabin
- Hilda Ogden appears in this episode in two short filmed sequences set aboard the Monte Umber. The scenes contain no dialogue and are set to the same track of incidental music.
- This is David Anderson's only script for the programme (See his profile for further details).
- TV Times synopsis: Will Ken tell Janet about the offer from Sir Julius?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,872,000 homes (10th place).
|May 1974 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th|