Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||21st August 1974 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Designer||Knowles Bentley (Uncredited)|
|Previous episode||19th August 1974|
|Next episode||26th August 1974|
Blanche thinks Billy is good for Deirdre. Annie questions Billy's motives in taking Deirdre home. Edward tells Ken that Sir Julius Berlin doesn't like unionisation. He asks shop steward Peggy Barton not to push for it although he tells her he admires her principles. Mavis has a new hair-do and does herself up but feels embarrassed when she walks into the Rovers to show off her new look and leaves when she is stared at. Peggy tries to make the girls see that Ken is not on their side but Sir Julius's. Rita gives Mavis beauty tips. Jerry asks Mavis out but she thinks he just feels sorry for her. Peggy agrees to Ken seeing a delegation of the girls before they strike for union recognition. Billy takes Deirdre to a disco. Deirdre asks him to keep their relationship a secret. Alf, Ken, Ray and Idris have a late-night poker game. Alf warns Ken that Peggy is notorious for causing trouble at factories and is very successful at getting unions recognised.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Deirdre Hunt - Anne Kirkbride
- Tricia Hopkins - Kathy Jones
- Idris Hopkins - Richard Davies
- Granny Hopkins - Jessie Evans
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Jimmy Graham - Colin George
- Edward Pollard - Michael Gover
- Edna Gee - Mavis Rogerson
- Blanche Hunt - Patricia Cutts
- Peggy Barton - Lois Daine
- Disc Jockey - Billy QT
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- The Kabin
- Mark Brittain Warehouse - Staff canteen and Edward Pollard's office
- 20 Victoria Street - Living room
- Unknown disco
- In this episode and Episode 1418 the part of Blanche Hunt was played by Patricia Cutts. The intention was that the part (and the actress) would become regulars on the programme but Ms Cutts committed suicide on 6th September 1974. When the character returned on 30th September 1974 she was played by Maggie Jones who was a choice for the part at the original auditions and only rejected because it was felt that she would be too familiar to viewers from her recent starring role in the Granada series Sam (written by John Finch).
- TV Times synopsis: Mavis gets a new image - and Ken gets to grips with a very tough lady…
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,100,000 homes (4th place).
|August 1974 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|