Blanche advises Deirdre to fight Ray back. Sheila Crossley plans to throw a party to show her appreciation to the Bishops. Deirdre hates working with Ray. Blanche is angry when he makes her cry and slaps Ray in the Rovers for harassing Deirdre. Jerry wants to take Mavis to the party but she isn't sure about going. Bet enters 'Find the Football' in the Gazette and ropes in some of the girls when Len insinuates a woman could never win it. Billy rings Deirdre to say that he'll be home tomorrow. Ray spikes Jerry's pale ale with vodka. Rita flirts with Ken to make Len angry. To Mavis's horror, a drunken Jerry gives a speech, saying how much Sheila means to him. Mavis runs out and Jerry is sick. Annie is annoyed to hear from Blanche that Billy has phoned Deirdre as well as her and even more put out when Blanche hints that wedding bells are in the offing.
- Blanche Hunt - Maggie Jones
- Deirdre Hunt - Anne Kirkbride (Credited as "Ann Kirkbride")
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Sheila Crossley - Eileen Mayers
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- The Kabin
- 20 Victoria Street - Living room
- Builder's Yard - Office
- First appearance of Blanche Hunt as played by Maggie Jones. The character had previously appeared in Episodes 1418 and 1419 in August 1974 played by Patricia Cutts but the part had to be recast following the suicide of the actress.
- TV Times synopsis: Deirdre's mum is on the warpath. But who's on the receiving end?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,700,000 homes (5th place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1970-1979, released on 25th July 2005.
Blanche Hunt: "Mr Langton?"
Ray Langton: "The one and only."
Blanche Hunt: "I'm Deirdre's mother. I've got something for you".
Ray Langton: "Something for me?" (Blanche slaps him) "What the hell were that for?"
Blanche Hunt: "Oh, that's just for starters. If you want another one, just try picking on Deirdre again."
|September 1974 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|