|ITV transmission date||7th October 1974 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Script editor||Leslie Duxbury|
|Writer||Julian Roach (Credited as "Julian Roache")|
|Previous episode||2nd October 1974|
|Next episode||9th October 1974|
Annie is upset over the engagement and the difference in Billy and Deirdre's ages. She thinks Blanche has got her to snare him. Billy gets angry with her attitude and wishes she would give Deirdre a chance. Mavis can't face Jerry after her harsh words. The Gazette interviews Bet about winning the competition and photographs her sitting on the bar. She is determined to go to the Bahamas. All the women want to go on the holiday so Annie gathers the winners - herself, Bet, Rita, Mavis, Deirdre, Emily, Betty and Hilda - in the Rovers' living room to determine who gets the holiday. Billy gives out drinks on the house when he hears that Annie has been telling people about the engagement. At Emily's suggestion, the women opt for drawing lots but they decide against it when they realise they could end up going to the Bahamas with Hilda. Bet suggests that they pick a winner who can then choose who goes with them but the women prefer Hilda's idea of splitting the money eight ways. Jerry makes up with Mavis and thanks her for being a good enough friend to tell him some home truths. He admits that he's never seen much to look forward to in the future. The travel agent won't exchange the holiday for cash but offers all eight of them to a week in Majorca. Bet agrees.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Deirdre Hunt - Anne Kirkbride
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Blanche Hunt - Maggie Jones
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug, back room, hallway
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room
- The Kabin
- 20 Victoria Street - Living room
- In the scene where the competition winners are preparing to draw lots to determine who will go to the Bahamas, the inner thoughts of Bet, Annie and Rita are heard as they wonder - with horror - who they could end up going with should they win. This is the only known occurrence of the phenomenon in the programme's history.
- TV Times synopsis: Bet's name is on the winning entry - but what about the other seven winners?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,000,000 homes (3rd place).
Annie Walker: “I know that these things count for nothing these days, but when I was young there were standards. And as they say in Clitheroe, 'see the mother today, see the daughter tomorrow'. They grow like their mothers Billy, and there's no one that Mrs Hunt reminds me of so much as Elsie Tanner.”
|October 1974 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|