|ITV transmission date||2nd May 1962 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by||Harry Driver|
|Previous episode||30th April 1962|
|Next episode||7th May 1962|
The intruder turns out to be a little boy. Len and Harry drag him inside and rough him up while his three mates flee. Minnie recognises him as Billy Makin, a young lad who used to live near her, and calms him down. Jack and Albert make out to Annie that they took on gangsters. Billy tells the residents of how the Black Hand Gang have been meeting in the house after he stole his dad's key which he got from the estate agent. The brewery passes the alterations to the Rovers and Len starts knocking about. Elsie refuses to go on another blind date with Florrie. Concepta wants a change and gets Harry to move the furniture around at No.7. Jack, Frank and Minnie help Albert at the allotment. On holiday from Bessie Street School, Ken helps Len out at the Rovers in order to gain insight into the building trade for his novel. As they're knocking down a wall in the select, they hear Martha and Annie talking about them and pretend to have a heated argument to see their reaction. Minnie disappears at the allotment and is found sleeping in a shed by Albert and Martha. Len and Ken amuse themselves at the others' expense. Annie asks Harry to intervene before they come to blows but he finds them acting like the best of friends. Elsie discovers that the blind date was a real looker. Martha backs Annie up but nobody believes that Len and Ken were fighting. Len announces in the Rovers that Nellie has returned to him.
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug and select
- 7 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Jimmy Ogden's appearance in this episode as Billy Makin marked the first time since Episode 104 (11th December 1961) that a credited guest member of the cast appeared in the programme. This gap was due to the Equity actors' strike which had ended on 3rd April, although several children had appeared in uncredited roles in the interim.
- The scenes at Albert Tatlock's allotment were OB recorded.
- TV Times synopsis: A strange partnership develops - much to the delight of the tongue-waggers. Is an old enmity flaring up again?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,269,000 homes (2nd place).
|May 1962 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|