Lucille begins hero worshipping Philippa. She dreams about having long legs like her. Billy and Philippa return at 3.00am. Concepta's plans for family picnic are scuppered when Billy tells the Hewitts he's had a bump in the car. Harry goes easy on him as he spends the day repairing the axle. Ken lets Annie read a portion of his manuscript to fact check a chapter set in a pub. Annie is taken aback by its outspokenness. Albert continues taking signatures for his petition, not expecting anything to come of Ena's Royal correspondence. Esther signs it and announces she's leaving the Street to live in a flat in Moor Lane. Ena takes a dislike to Philippa when she recommends face cream to avoid wrinkles. Albert dictates a covering letter to Jack who then posts the petition to the Town Hall. Len and Harry wind Billy up by asking if Philippa was nibbling his ear when he crashed the car. Philippa sets a sunlamp up in the living room. Jack walks in on her half-naked. Ken comes over to collect his book and entertains Philippa while waiting for Annie. He's interested in how she views herself. Frank has something to ask Florrie but backs down when a customer comes in. Annie discovers Philippa has added a load of her own foodstuffs to her order at the shop. The lamp burns the tablecloth and in the confusion that follows, Annie discovers Philippa with her arms around Ken.
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Esther Hayes - Daphne Oxenford
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug and back room
- 5 Coronation Street - Back room
- 7 Coronation Street - Back room
- Corner Shop
- First appearance of Esther Hayes since 6th December 1961 due to the Equity actors' strike.
- In the cast roll, Harry Hewitt is credited with playing Ivan Beavis rather than the other way around.
- TV Times synopsis: Glamour, in the shapely form of Philippa, is still the Street's No. 1 topic. Kenneth's visit to the Rovers comes to an unfortunate climax.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,734,000 homes (2nd place).
|May 1962 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|