|ITV transmission date||12th January 1976 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Script editor||Leslie Duxbury|
|Previous episode||7th January 1976|
|Next episode||14th January 1976|
Deirdre is shocked that Blanche is selling her dress-making business. Blanche says it's too much for her while she's running the shop. Ray advertises for a joiner. Ethel Needham is interested in the business but Blanche doesn't know how much to ask for. They agree on £300. Jill Marriott applies to be a joiner at the Yard. Ray doesn't think it's a job for a girl and tells Deirdre to get shot of her. Deirdre realises Jill is talented and decides to fight her corner. Alf puts Albert down for meals on wheels as the old man is tired of cooking for himself. Betty tells a shocked Blanche that Gordon is strongly considering selling the shop and this will leave her with no job whereas she previously had two. Ray gives Jill a test which she passes with flying colours and takes her on with a month's trial when Deirdre threatens to leave the Yard if he doesn't.
- Blanche Hunt - Maggie Jones
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room
- Corner Shop
- Builder's Yard
- The Kabin
- 44 Victoria Street - Living room
- TV Times synopsis: The yard advertises for a trainee - and an unexpected candidate turns up!
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,700,000 homes (joint 5th place with Episode 1565).
|January 1976 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|