Blanche waits anxiously for news about the shop. Jill starts working for Fairclough and Langton. Albert is ready to criticise her work when she repairs a leaky windowframe at No.1 but he has no complaints. Deirdre suggests Blanche go back on her deal with Mrs Needham. Blanche comes round to the idea but when the moment comes she doesn't have the heart to tell her. Ray is pleased with Jill's work. Betty tells Blanche that Gordon isn't sure about selling the shop at the moment. Blanche doesn't know what to do with her corsetry business sold and her other job finishing should Gordon make up his mind to sell the shop. Deirdre is upset by the fact that she has no real skills, unlike Jill. Mavis cooks Albert and Alf a meal but the men swap their dishes round as Albert would prefer Alf's steamed fish while Alf doesn't want slimming food but would prefer Albert's beef ragu. Jill tells Ray she doesn't want to work at the Yard; it's not a proper firm as neither Ray or Len served trained apprenticeships. Betty tells Blanche that Gordon wouldn't object if she found another job.
- Blanche Hunt - Maggie Jones
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Coronation Street exterior
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room
- Corner Shop
- Builder's Yard
- The Kabin
- 20 Victoria Street - Living room
- In this episode, Jill Marriott decides not to work for Fairclough and Langton after Blanche Hunt tells her that neither Len nor Ray served trained apprenticeships. In fact, as established in Episode 168 (23rd July 1962), Len is a qualified joiner and trained under Joe White.
- TV Times synopsis: A pair of lucky lads share a meal laid on by Mavis
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,700,000 homes (joint 5th place with Episode 1564).
Blanche Hunt: “I'd never pass for 28, not even in a power cut.”
|January 1976 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|