Gordon arrives to stay with Betty. She questions him about his life in London. He tells her the reason he’s here is to audit the shop as it’s the end of the financial year. Betty tells him it’s doing well but she won’t tell the girls he’s coming. Tricia pushes Keith to pay some of the money he owes. Hilda buys dog food to enter a competition to win a washing machine. She overhears that the girls have given tick. Rita discovers that Derek isn’t married. The front of shop is a mess as the boys are entertained at lunch again in the back room. Derek and Mavis realise they have a lot in common. Keith avoids discussing money. Pete Dawson tells a puzzled Gordon the shop is shut for dinner and closes the door on him. Gordon bangs to be let in and Tricia realises what's going on. She shoos the lads out the back way but Gordon has gone round that way and sees them running off. He tells the girls as it's their dinner time he'll call back in fifteen minutes to see the books. The residents, Emily aside, sneer at the Ogdens' competitions. Gail presents the boys with a bill for £18 but they have no money until payday. Betty is furious to hear that the boys have been in the shop. She tells Gordon the girls aren't been paid and are claiming the dole. He's horrified. Derek gives Mavis a mood stone ring and arranges to meet in the Rovers later on. Gordon tells the girls he doesn't the lads being in at dinnertime and starts to go through the books. They tell him the slate is currently £31.47 and 1/2 pence. Mavis plans to visit her parents at the weekend but Derek invites her to the Lake District instead, staying overnight. The thought makes her nervous and she asks for time to think about it.
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Rita Littlewood - Barbara Mullaney
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Gordon Clegg - Bill Kenwright
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Tricia Hopkins - Kathy Jones
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Coronation Street exterior - Main street view and ginnel
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- Corner Shop - Shop, back room and yard
- The Kabin
- 37 Hillside Crescent - Living room
- First appearance of Gordon Clegg since 5th November 1975.
- TV Times synopsis: Gordon Clegg arrives…and causes panic for the girls at the corner shop!
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,550,000 homes (7th place).
|March 1976 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th
Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st