|ITV transmission date||3rd May 1976 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Script editor||Leslie Duxbury|
|Previous episode||28th April 1976|
|Next episode||5th May 1976|
Sylvia's Separates holds a sale and Hilda buys a hideously ill-suited teenager's smock-top. Ray feels there isn't enough work for Terry. Everyone is too embarrassed to tell Hilda she looks a fool so Tricia plucks up courage and tells her that she looks like mutton dressed as lamb. Terry agrees to work part time at the Yard. Alf is told to train a lad in his job at the Post Office but he feels he's getting too old to work. Elsie tells Stan he ended up at the wrong pub on purpose. Gail refuses to take the top back. Hilda says she'll force Elsie to give her the money back.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Tricia Hopkins - Kathy Jones
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Terry Bradshaw - Bob Mason
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Builder's Yard - Office
- Sylvia's Separates
- Road outside Sylvia's Separates
- This episode saw the debut of the programme's fifth, and longest-lived title sequence.
- TV Times synopsis: Hilda gets something new to wear - and some sharp reaction from the regulars.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,650,000 homes (2nd place).
Hilda Ogden (about her new top): "I'm glad it meets with anonymous approval."
|May 1976 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|