Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||27th January 1961 (Friday)|
|Previous episode||25th January 1961|
|Next episode||1st February 1961|
Elsie tells Dennis to stay in, not only for the repaired television being brought back and also for Linda and Ivan who are coming to do some shopping for the baby. As Dennis can’t, she leaves a note for him or Linda to put on the door when they go out, dependent on who’s in last, saying “TV Man, if out, key at Corner Shop”. Florrie’s pleased as her takings are up nearly a quarter. Linda and Ivan arrive. They find the note and are given the instructions about the television from Dennis. Linda, finding pregnancy difficult, is short-tempered with Ivan. She gets upset, worried that everything will be fine with baby. They leave for the shops, pinning the note to the front door. Harry goes to a football match. A man calls at the shop and gets the key for No.11 from Florrie. A few hours later, Linda and Ivan return and find the house ransacked. A policeman investigates and takes a statement from Florrie. Elsie refuses to accept the blame for her arrangements, annoyed that her £6 savings have gone. Her temper doesn’t improve when the real television man returns the set. Harry and Len prepare for a league darts match in the Rovers. Billy Walker returns home early from national service. Jack and Annie are delighted to see him back and Annie orders drinks on the house for everyone. Swindley and Mission helper Emily Nugent deliver artificial flowers to decorate the hall for Anniversary Sunday. They ask Ena to help for 5/- payment but she refuses as it’s a Saturday night. Swindley leaves Emily to try and persuade Ena but she claims she has to visit a sick friend. Her actual destination is the Rovers where she claims her free drink for Billy’s return. They are soon interrupted by the sound of an explosion followed shortly thereafter by the arrival of the police who tell them that a gas main is on fire two streets away. The residents are told to evacuate to the Mission but Ena tells the policeman that it’ll be over her dead body.
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Linda Cheveski - Anne Cunningham
- Ivan Cheveski - Ernst Walder
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Concepta Riley - Doreen Keogh
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Mr. Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen, hallway and Elsie's bedroom
- Corner Shop
- Mission of Glad Tidings - Main hall
- First appearances of Billy Walker and Emily Nugent (The latter had been seen briefly in Episode 4 (21st December 1960) but had been played by an uncredited walk-on actress. The character's first name was not stated in the programme until the following year and was credited as "Miss Nugent" until July 1969).
- Both Mawdsley Street and St. Mary's Church are named for the first time as the policeman tell residents of the former to evacuate to the church.
- From comments made by Annie Walker, the Rovers has a lounge although this isn't made clear if it is the room later known as the Select.
- The end credits for this episode were presented in an unusual arrangement being in groups of staggered blocks, some left-justified, others more centred.
- TV Times: No synopsis appeared in the magazine between Episode 3 (16th December 1960) and Episode 80 (18th September 1961) with the exception of Episode 64 (24th July 1961).
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 4,957,000 homes (chart placing unknown).
|January 1961 episodes|
|Wed 4th • Fri 6th • Wed 11th • Fri 13th • Wed 18th • Fri 20th • Wed 25th • Fri 27th|