|ITV transmission date||4th August 1976 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Script editor||Leslie Duxbury|
|Previous episode||2nd August 1976|
|Next episode||9th August 1976|
Terry misses the Army. Bertha apologises to Albert and gives him £10. Annie discovers Nellie Harvey had to have eighty-six lessons to pass her test. Albert is horrified when Bertha kisses him. Elsie is upset when Gail loses one of her earrings whilst out with Roy Thornley. Nat Lumley threatens to thump Albert when he hears about the kiss but Ena intervenes and separates the two men. Elsie finds the lost earring in the stockroom. Len makes her realise that Roy must be married when he points out that he has to entertain Gail at the shop. Nellie challenges Annie to learn to drive in less than eighty-six lessons when she goads her.
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Terry Bradshaw - Bob Mason
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Nellie Harvey - Mollie Sugden
- Bertha Lumley - Madoline Thomas
- Roy Thornley - Sidney Livingstone
- Nathaniel Lumley - Eric Longworth
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, back room and hallway
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Sylvia's Separates - Shop floor and Stockroom
- Bus stop in Weatherfield
- The location scene where Nellie Harvey offers Annie Walker a lift in her car was filmed in Major Street in Manchester, a short distance from the Chorlton Street Bus Station and multi-storey car park which can be seen in the distance.
- TV Times synopsis: Elsie finds the ear-ring she lent Gail…in a highly suspicious spot.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 5,764,000 homes (14th place).
- The Granada Plus repeat of this episode on 18th November 1996 was edited down for timing reasons leading to four scenes being trimmed down: in Part One, the last 29" of the scene in No.3 where Emily Bishop sets off for work, and the opening 43" of the scene in Sylvia's Separates where Deirdre Langton fishes for gossip from Gail Potter about her new boyfriend, and in Part Two, 44" from the beginning of the Rovers scene in which Alf Roberts tells Ernest Bishop that he's put his name in at the post office, and 36" from the end of the scene at No.3 where Emily and Ernie discuss Emily's new job. The cuts amounted to 2'22" in total.
|August 1976 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|