|ITV transmission date||6th July 1977 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Peter Tonkinson|
|Previous episode||4th July 1977|
|Next episode||11th July 1977|
The Bishops, Alf, Len and Ken join forces to secure Ena's job. Bet and Renee prepare for a party in Ashton-under-Lyne with Les Fox and Eric Bailey. Rita and Mavis shut The Kabin for the afternoon to shop in Manchester, to spite Len. Councillor Tattersall tells Ena she has no right to live in the flat - it is council property and she doesn't do anything at the Centre. He tells her he's going to put her in an old folks' home. She begins to feel worried. Les and Eric make sure Bet and Renee have left for their "date" in Ashton before breaking into the shop. Emily sees them loading their van from the shop and is coerced into believing that they are delivery men. When Tattersall walks into the Rovers he is faced with the residents' opposition. Ernie threatens him with violence if he evicts Ena, while Len has to be stopped from hitting the councillor. Tattersall says that he has lodged an official complaint about Ena. Alf comes into the pub and tells him he's discovered Tattersall wants Ena out so his niece can have the job and the flat. Tattersall is furious and leaves. Rita makes Len a special tea and they apologise to each other. Bet and Renee return from their wild goose chase to find all the alcohol missing from the shelves.
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Renee Bradshaw - Madge Hindle
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- Corner Shop and back room
- Community Centre flat
- Canal Street
- Geoff Hinsliff makes a pre-Don Brennan appearance as Eric Bailey.
- George Waring makes a pre-Arnold Swain appearance as Councillor Tattersall.
- This episode marks the 1,000th appearance of Jack Howarth in the role of Albert Tatlock.
- TV Times synopsis: Will Len and Rita Fairclough heal their rift?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 5,500,000 homes (18th place).
|July 1977 episodes|
|Mon 4th • Wed 6th • Mon 11th • Wed 13th • Mon 18th • Wed 20th • Mon 25th • Wed 27th|