A sullen Lucille returns the girls' record player and declares she'll be calling Christopher "it" from now on. Jerry tells Len that Sam wasn't ill last night. Annie is delighted to receive a letter from Arthur Forsythe-Jones. The Walkers debate whether to check on Sam at his hostel but the man himself arrives for his shift. He's evasive when Annie asks what was wrong with him and continues to delay Jack over his insurance card. Ena has gone to visit Vera. Swindley holds a fire practice at Gamma Garments. Len finds out from Jerry that Sam's wife is still alive and treats her husband like a dog. Swindley blows his whistle to signify the alarm. They evacuate the shop ahead of the allotted time but Emily locks them out. With Swindley's pie cooking on the stove, Len smashes the window to let them back in. Florrie refuses to let Lucille watch her television to get a break from Christopher as she's going out. Doreen tells Frank that Emily is besotted with Swindley. Florrie is fed up with Frank just wanting to be friends. Elsie warns her not to throw herself at him as she'll get hurt. Dot copies Elsie's diet. Florrie shows Frank the flat. She breaks down when he talks about Emily and hopes that no woman is daft enough to act that way over him. Doreen walks in on them.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Doreen Lostock - Angela Crow
- Sheila Birtles - Eileen Mayers
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 9 Coronation Street - Front room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- Corner Shop
- 15a Coronation Street - Living room/kitchen
- Rosamund Street
- Gamma Garments
- Annie Walker's gentleman friend from Babbacombe is referred to as "Alfred Forsythe-Jones" instead of the later-established Arthur Forsythe-Jones.
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode Ena Sharples (Violet Carson) was credited but did not appear.
- TV Times synopsis: Doreen gets caught by the fire alarm, Elsie gets caught by her diet and Florrie just gets caught!
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,020,000 homes (1st place).
|August 1962 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th|