|ITV transmission date||11th January 1978 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Script editor||Leslie Duxbury|
|Previous episode||9th January 1978|
|Next episode||16th January 1978|
Ernie is rushed to Weatherfield General. The police question Mike and force him to give accurate descriptions of the gunmen. Ernie undergoes emergency surgery. Ivy and Vera are in shock after Ernie's shooting. Emily returns from work to find the police in the Street. She realises something has happened at the factory. When Elsie breaks the news to her, she collapses. Betty takes Emily to the hospital. Mike blames himself, thinking he panicked the gunmen. A surgeon, Mr Liston, breaks the news to Emily that Ernie is dead.
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Ernest Bishop - Stephen Hancock
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Renee Bradshaw - Madge Hindle
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Steve Fisher - Lawrence Mullin
- Det Sgt Thornton - Norman Gregory
- Det Insp Brewster - Norman Jones
- PC Bell - Fred Gaunt
- Mr Liston - Geoffrey Beevers
- Nurse Gray - Sheila Price
- Sandra Pringle - Leonie Murray
- Coronation Street exterior
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Baldwin's Casuals - Sewing room and wages office
- Weatherfield General - Corridor and lift
- Final appearance of Stephen Hancock as Ernest Bishop.
- A boy watching Ernest Bishop being put inside the ambulance outside Baldwin's Casuals is uncredited although he has a line of dialogue.
- In scene outside Baldwin's Casuals, Emily Bishop tries to find out what is happening after realising that something has happened to Ernie. In front of her, Hilda Ogden thoughtlessly tells a policeman "That's the wife". Emily references this moment in Episode 4157 (10th March 1997) after her memories of Ernie's death are brought back when the McDonalds are held at gunpoint by Gerry Turner.
- TV Times synopsis: Ernest Bishop is rushed to hospital with gunshot wounds, after the robbery. His wife, Emily, waits…
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 20,241,000 viewers (1st place).
|January 1978 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|